Learning Session Plan - Saturday, January 20, 2001 - #3
Warmup 0:00 - 0:05
- Go over the rules
- Pay Attention
- Whistle Means Stop
- Try Hard
- Have Fun
Ball Handling 0:05 - 0:10
- Squeezes - make the ball your friend
- Slap Ball
- Toss ball and catch it - squeeze tightly
- Body Circles - head, waist, legs
- Figure 8
Pivoting 0:10 - 0:15
- Teach Triple Threat Position
- Step Forward and Back
- Left foot on ground
- Step with right foot
- Keep right hand behind the ball
- Hokey Pokey
Dribbling 0:15 - 0:25
- Sitting Down
- Cross legs, dribble on outside
- Start with left hand
- Partner Dribbling
- Hold right hands with partner and dribble with left hand
- Dribble ball on outside, rotate around the hands in the middle
- Repeat with holding left hands and dribbling with the right.
- Dribble Adventure
- Follow coach around gym, tables in cafeteria
Break 0:25 - 0:30
Passing 0:30 - 0:50
- Push Passing
- Use partners
- One hand - right foot slightly in front
- Teach catching - hands up, just like shooting
- Zig-Zag Line Passing
- Make two lines of players facing each other, about 10 feet apart.
- Offset the players slightly, to make a zig-zag.
- Start with one ball at the end.
- Pass the ball back and forth between the lines in a zig-zag fashion.
- Start more balls as soon as possible.
- When the ball gets to the end, the last player dribbles the ball
around the outside of the lines and goes to the starting end and starts
the passing again.
- Triangle Passing
- Divide players into groups of three. Use one ball for each group.
- Make a triangle about 10 feet apart.
- Pass around the triangle, making good passes, and catching with the
- Make 50 passes one direction, then switch directions and make
another 50 passes.
Shooting & Games 0:50 - 1:05
- Group A: Shoot at baskets
- Shoot in front, three foot shots
- Get in a line, shoot till you make one, then shoot till you miss
- Count how many baskets you make
- Group B: Game
- Make teams of 3 or 4 on a side
- Play full court - offense/defense - go slow
- Switch groups at mid-way point